Expository Essay Help: How to Write Better
In order to write a good expository essay you must first know what exactly an expository essay is. Basically an expository essay is one that will either present information or explain something without bias or opinion. By following some simple guidelines you can be writing great expository essays in no time.
- Choose a topic. No matter what you choose make sure that you will be able to write it without showing bias or expressing an opinion about it one way or the other.
- Research the topic. Try to find things like little known facts or unique information. Whatever you find, make sure that the information is accurate and that you cite all references.
- Write a thesis statement. Explain in your thesis statement what you will be discussing in the body of the essay. Make sure that whatever your thesis is that you have a ton of information to back it up.
- Write the paragraphs that will form the body of the essay. Make it full of the facts that you found during your research, be objective, factual and very brief.
- Follow an outline. Make each paragraph only cover one point. Make the points in the paragraphs go from one logical fact to the next and be sure that they do not jump around.
- In your final paragraph you will restate the thesis statement while summing up all of the facts that were included in your paper.
- If you came across any graphs, charts or photos during your research that will support your thesis statement then these can be included in a sidebar. Again, make double sure that you cite everything.
- Proofread your paper checking for spelling and grammar errors. Go through it from start to finish. Read it aloud if you have to. Sometimes things that you will not catch by reading it silently will jump out at you when you read it out loud.
- When you have made it perfect, save it to your computer and print two copies of it. One will be for your class and the other will be a backup in case something happens to the class copy.
Writing is not difficult. Writing without expressing an opinion or a bias can be quite difficult though. It is crucially important that you do not express an opinion though in expository writing. To do so in an expository essay might automatically fail you for that particular assignment. If you still need help then ask your instructor for more pointers.